Monday, April 15, 2013

Quinoa Protein Brekkie Bowl--The Karma Chow Ultimate Cookbook

I have been sharing on Facebook and Instagram many meals that we eat here at the Middle of Somewhere and have had several requests for recipes.  Breakfast can be so mundane sometimes but I have found a few recipes to keep it healthy and yummie.  This recipe is anything but mundane yet so simple.

 I'll be honest, I was excited to try this alternative cereal but my children were not.  However, with our insistence each one ate it and liked it by the end of the meal.  Yes, I said insistence because sometimes that's what it takes when raising children, our insistence as parents that they do something.  Don't be thrown off track by tears and poor attitudes but insist on your children meeting your family's values.



Here's the recipe:

1 cup quinoa
1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
1/4 cup golden rasins (i used cranberries)
pinch cardamom
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 TBS agave or maple syrup
pinch salt
unsweetened almond or coconut milk to top it all off

Cook the quinoa according to your package directions. (I cook quinoa the same way I do rice, in the rice cooker.  I have also made this recipe just using left over quinoa from the night before.)

Heat oven to 350  and toast your almonds and coconut.  Watch it, it burns fast.  Or you could also use a pan on the stove top to toast the coconut and almonds.

Now it is time to build your bowl.  Put all the ingredients in your bowl and top with the milk.

Keep in mind the recipe says this serves 2, so for our family I at least double the recipe.

It is fun to try new things and remember don't just try things once because new flavors sometimes take awhile to get use to.  Enjoy!

This recipe is from The Karma Chow Ultimate Cookbook.

No comments: