Monday, February 11, 2013

Preschool Update

Good day everyone!  Thank-you for stopping by to see what we are up to.  I hope that your visit here will be both inspiring and encouraging in your education journey.
I was given a copy of the book The Resolution for Women at Christmas.  The book is a spin off of the resolution that the men signed in the movie Courageous but written specifically to women.  There is a quote that I read from the book 2 weeks ago that I wanted to share with all of you because I keep coming back to it frequently.  It is:  "with new resolve I started scraping up everything I could salvage, not wanting to leave behind any part of this delicious experience...Promising never again to miss anything in my life."  In this passage the author is drawing a picture of "licking your plate clean" and that is what I want to do with each day I spend with my children and husband.  I want to lick the plate clean and not miss one single drop of this sweet life. That is one of the reasons we chose day in day out to raise our children wholely and completely at home.
I have been enjoying some great times with our resident preschooler, he is just ripe for learning numbers and letters.  Last year at this time B wanted very little to do with numbers and letters and was solely focused on practical life work, it is fun to move forward and see his excitement.

Learning His ABC's
Who knew an alphabet puzzle could be so interesting and multifaceted.  First we matched letter rocks to the letters on the puzzle.  B knew a lot more than I expected, it was a delightful surprise.


Then B dumped out all of the letter pieces and matched them up to their spots. I was amazed by his sustained attention span.

Then he sung (it had to be by himself, without my help) the ABC song and pointed to the corresponding letters.  Simple activities but so much fun for a preschooler.  I think he even impressed himself with what he knew.

B also loves this letter matching set from Parents.  Last year we worked with this a lot but his attention span is so much longer so he can complete a lot more cards at one time.

Learning Numbers & Counting
This boy is in a counting sensitive period.  He counts and counts whatever he can find.  Here are a few things we have been working on to reinforce his interest:

Matching numbers and bead bars.

 Counting cards to match numbers and items.

Matching number tiles and number cards. I think these are from Confessions of a Homeschooler.
More Fun
B has been a bit puzzle crazed of late.
Melissa and Doug Wooden Jigsaw Puzzles in a Box

The World of Cars 24 piece puzzle

Sorting winter and non-winter items.


Playing Sequence for Kids. (My he looks shaggy.)

Working on fine motor skills with locks and keys.

It's Monday so I'm linking up at Living Montessori Now.

No comments: