Monday, February 4, 2013

Geometry--Angles

Here at the Middle of Somewhere we have just finished another month of geometry study. We started out with a review of our previous work and then moved on to angles. For our angle work we used a combination of booklets, sorting cards, videos and worksheets. The spine of our study was Montessori Print Shop's Study of Angles Book. We would go over the booklet terms and then watch videos to elaborate on the concepts.  Our 2 favorite places for videos were Kahn Academy and Study Jams.


Once the children understood the difference between right, acute and obtuse angles they completed an angle sort printed for free from Cultivating Dharma.


Then we moved on to worksheets.  Below A is doing a fun angle snowflake search from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational..  Superteacher worksheets also has some good angle pages for free.  We do not have a membership to this site nor do we use a lot of worksheets but this is a great resource that could really help me in planning future lessons, so we may have to subscribe.
When we  return to geometry in the spring we will be ready to move onto lines and triangles.  I had really hoped to move through all of our geometry materials this season but I don't think we will make it.  I remind myself,  isn't that why we homeschool, so we can move at our own pace?

I'm linking up with Montessori Monday, go take a look and be inspired.

Also just wanted to let you know that I am posting a lot of fitness/heatlth information on my facebook page and instagram if you would like to follow along. And of course there is Pinterest.

4 comments:

Jae (Pinay Homeschooler) said...

I love your work. Will definitely take note of this one as we will discuss angles soon :) I'm your new follower by the way.

Tammy G said...

Jae--thank you for being a follower and I appreciate your kind comments.

Deb Chitwood said...

This is wonderful, Tammy! Thanks so much for sharing the resources you used ... I LOVE your hands-on ideas for learning difficult concepts! I'm so glad you link up with Montessori Monday! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Tammy G said...

Thanks for visiting Deb and giving such encouraging words. I appreciate your kindness--bless you!