Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Our wedding story

I am taking part in the Completing Him Summer Challenge. Today's challenge is to tell about our wedding day as I remember the importance of the vows we took.

Jay and I were married on August 6th, 1999, it was a Friday afternoon. On the morning of our wedding I was awakened by booming thunder and pouring rain--unbelievable. We typically get thunder showers in the afternoons but not early in the morning, it was 6A.M. We had planned an outdoor wedding at a private residence surrounded by towering pines and a peekaboo view of Lake Tahoe but it was not to be. We had to turn on the beautiful fireplace and move the ceremony indoors--it was more cozy and intimate than I could have imagined, a true blessing from the Lord. And oh goodness, the smell from all the flowers was amazing. Had we of had the wedding outdoors, amongst the pines and lake views, we would have missed the beautiful fragrance of the flowers. Jay still buys me Stargazer Lillies because the fragrance reminds us of the day we committed our lives to one another and I always think of him during summer thunder storms.

Our Wedding had 90 guests and we personally knew everyone in attendance. Jay sang, or shall I say attempted to sing, " I Will Be Here" by Steven Curtis Chapman but he could hardly choke it out through his tearful emotion. I forgot my self and as I hugged him,I kissed him through my vail which got quite a laugh from our friends and family. As I stood at the front I was sure to look around and savor the flowers and moments of this special day, as they were so quickly passing by. It was a beautiful ceremony and we could not have been happier.

At our reception we had an open mic for everyone to share bits or advice or memories of us and we treasure that in our hearts. My dad made the favors, chocolate chip cookies, with his "secret ingredient," my mom made the ivy topiary center pieces and we cut our cake with the same knife my parents used to cut their wedding cake. After a time of worship we were off to our honey moon in Grand Cayman.




It has been almost 11 years since we said I Do--4 children later, 1 lost baby, family discord, a year of fighting and not understanding, dishes in the sink, struggles to communicate, financial hardship, an unknown future I'd still pick you. I'd still pick you until death do us part because I love you, God purposed it in my heart, I said I would, 4 children later, trips to Grand Cayman, tea with honey, games, Food Network, the Amazing Race, The Biggest Loser, working out, hiking, walks, bike rides, thunderstorms, your protection and your loyal heart. Thanks sweetie, it will always be worth it "until death do us part."

No comments: