Thursday, February 16, 2012

Storybook Center--The Mitten

I have always been a fan of learning with good books.  In the past I have used Peek with Books, Five in a Row and Homeschool Share to develop study units for our favorite books, areas of interest or new learning. Then I thought why not make a center based on our seasonal reading and I have been blessed that there has been something for everyone.  From reading, writing, hands on and reporting all of the children have been able to use our newly created center.  Our first storybook center is based on The Mitten by Jan Brett. The resources I used to develop our center materials are below:

The Mitten Printables

The Mitten Printable Pack

Activities to go with the book

We also read The Hat by Jan Brett.

B and K had a lot of fun with this mitten printable:

Painting with a brush
Painting around the dots with a brush.

Dot Painters

It is hard to see but K is using one of her painted mittens for fine motor practice with stickers.  She is trying to place the sticker in the circle only without going out of the lines.
I hid The Mitten animals in the rice box for B to find.
K and B going on an animal hunt for The Mitten animals using my very large kitchen mitt.
Our animals are numbered on the back and K is putting them in order
K completing a mitten beginning sound printable in our Crayola Dry Erase Activity Center.

Ayden is sorting one and two syllable words from the story.

E and A went on a "write the room" hunt.  Each of the children had clipboards (everything is more fun with a clipboard, right?) and had to search for each of the animals and copy their names.  K also did this several times, one time just looking for the animals and checking them off and another time looking for the animals and tracing their names.  I thought is was a fun way to incorporate copywork into our storybook center. 

And finally E and A are completing an animal notebook page for one The Mitten animals to put in their Exploring God's Creation Notebook.

This has been a fun idea that we have worked on over the last 3 weeks.  I hope to change out the center this week to The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Deb Chitwood said...

I LOVE The Mitten ... and your activities are awesome. Thanks for the links to resources, too! I pinned your post to my Kids' Winter Activities Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/kids-winter-activities/